Okay I have a lot of little comments-I hope that I can remember them all. -I think John the Baptist's ascetic lifestyle is interesting. There was a part that mentioned prophets rejecting comfy cloth and going for itchy hair shirts instead. I was trying to think how this applied to us. I guess that a rich and decadent life style isn't conducive to godliness. I'm not sure, but it's something I will try to remember to keep pondering. -Did baptism start with John the Baptist? Do other religions have baptism? Was this a totally new idea to the Jews? The notes at the end of the chapter reminded me that baptism was going on earlier with some of the Book of Mormon prophets in the americas, but I still wonder when it all began. If this was the first time the Jews heard about it, I wonder what their reaction was. I wonder what they related it to in order to understand it. Is it similar to their washings in preparation to entering their temples? Just some wonders. I guess I should wikipedia baptism and see if I find anything out. -I thought the different wording of the God's pronouncement at Jesus' baptism was interesting: "Thou art my beloved Son". -I always thought the temptations of Christ were interesting. I like the insights given here, particularly about the word "if", used to cast doubt. It is ironic that in order for Christ to show his full trust in God He had to not ask the help that He knew was there. Does that make sense? Like to really prove he knew God could help him, He had to choose not to ask for that help. Or not to demand it. It reminds me of where I am reading in the Book of Mormon right now: Alma and Amulek had to watch all the believers being put to death by fire, but they don't stop it because they are waiting for the go ahead from God. They had power, but they didn't cash in because they trusted His will and timing. I thought it was very insightful that for Christ to throw himself off the building he would be demanding instant help from God, and so forcing god's timing. It makes me want to be more patient with His timing in my own life as I ask for help. -Finally, I just thought it was interesting that there was a pretty lengthy section in the notes at the end about eating locusts--including lots of info on how they taste (like shrimps, but slightly less flavor) and how to cook them best (broiled with butter). I had beetles in the Philippines and it sounds like they were very similar. Mmm mmmm!
The temptations in the desert are much more dramatic as Elder Talmage describes them than they seem in the Bible. I also thought the whole "if" thing and points about forcing God's timing are good things to remember and ponder.
I appreciated the reminder that Christ's powers were not given to him for his own personal gratification but for service to others. Even by changing water to wine at the wedding feast, he was doing a service to others. Our talents are also for serving others and furthering the work of the gospel. As we do so they will be increased and further developed.
I thought the part about Jesus being peccable (is that really a word??) is an important point. When I read the scriptures, even though we know he could sin, I don't ever really believe that he ever would or that it would even be a temptation. However, maybe it wasn't as easy as it seems from the scripture records, and it's important to remember that in spite of challenges, Jesus never chose wrong. We can also be in charge of our choices and do our best to make good ones.
Okay I have a lot of little comments-I hope that I can remember them all.
ReplyDelete-I think John the Baptist's ascetic lifestyle is interesting. There was a part that mentioned prophets rejecting comfy cloth and going for itchy hair shirts instead. I was trying to think how this applied to us. I guess that a rich and decadent life style isn't conducive to godliness. I'm not sure, but it's something I will try to remember to keep pondering.
-Did baptism start with John the Baptist? Do other religions have baptism? Was this a totally new idea to the Jews? The notes at the end of the chapter reminded me that baptism was going on earlier with some of the Book of Mormon prophets in the americas, but I still wonder when it all began. If this was the first time the Jews heard about it, I wonder what their reaction was. I wonder what they related it to in order to understand it. Is it similar to their washings in preparation to entering their temples? Just some wonders. I guess I should wikipedia baptism and see if I find anything out.
-I thought the different wording of the God's pronouncement at Jesus' baptism was interesting: "Thou art my beloved Son".
-I always thought the temptations of Christ were interesting. I like the insights given here, particularly about the word "if", used to cast doubt. It is ironic that in order for Christ to show his full trust in God He had to not ask the help that He knew was there. Does that make sense? Like to really prove he knew God could help him, He had to choose not to ask for that help. Or not to demand it. It reminds me of where I am reading in the Book of Mormon right now: Alma and Amulek had to watch all the believers being put to death by fire, but they don't stop it because they are waiting for the go ahead from God. They had power, but they didn't cash in because they trusted His will and timing. I thought it was very insightful that for Christ to throw himself off the building he would be demanding instant help from God, and so forcing god's timing. It makes me want to be more patient with His timing in my own life as I ask for help.
-Finally, I just thought it was interesting that there was a pretty lengthy section in the notes at the end about eating locusts--including lots of info on how they taste (like shrimps, but slightly less flavor) and how to cook them best (broiled with butter). I had beetles in the Philippines and it sounds like they were very similar. Mmm mmmm!
The temptations in the desert are much more dramatic as Elder Talmage describes them than they seem in the Bible. I also thought the whole "if" thing and points about forcing God's timing are good things to remember and ponder.
ReplyDeleteI appreciated the reminder that Christ's powers were not given to him for his own personal gratification but for service to others. Even by changing water to wine at the wedding feast, he was doing a service to others. Our talents are also for serving others and furthering the work of the gospel. As we do so they will be increased and further developed.
I thought the part about Jesus being peccable (is that really a word??) is an important point. When I read the scriptures, even though we know he could sin, I don't ever really believe that he ever would or that it would even be a temptation. However, maybe it wasn't as easy as it seems from the scripture records, and it's important to remember that in spite of challenges, Jesus never chose wrong. We can also be in charge of our choices and do our best to make good ones.