Week four, week four, what can I say more.. This week's reading was, if I recall since my book is in the other room, prophecies of Christ's coming to Earth. I very much enjoyed the sections that reiterated that our old testament fathers knew about the coming and mission of Jesus Christ. Once again I feel blessed as a member of the church to realize that we have a much larger view of the role of the Savior and of the details of God's dealings with the earth. I found the section explaining why Heavenly Father promised Eve (rather than Adam or both of them) that her seed would have the power to defeat Satan--namely as a foreshadowing that the Savior would be born of a woman, but not of an earthly man--interesting. Leslie gave a very nice Sunday school lesson this week in the Spanish ward where we talked about some of Isaiah's prophesies of the coming of Christ. Even though I didn't really understand most of it, I felt the spirit and I thought about my own feelings about the Savior. Have a great week! -eebs
I didn't really have a lot of thoughts or comments for this chapter. It seemed pretty thorough in talking about all the prophecies and scriptural people who knew about Christ's coming to earth. Something I thought about recently is how artists (of all kinds- lyricists, poets, visual arts etc) often describe the sadness and awfulness regarding Christ's crucifixion- and I don't deny that it was cruel and awful and heart-rending!- but that was the whole purpose he came to earth: to sacrifice himself up to make eternal life and repentance of sins possible. What a glorious thing! Without that we'd have nothing, we'd be nothing! There would be no point to this life! So I just find the whole juxtaposition of the heart-rending nature of the crucifixion and Christ's atonement and the wonderful blessing of it to make it very poignant.
Week four, week four, what can I say more.. This week's reading was, if I recall since my book is in the other room, prophecies of Christ's coming to Earth. I very much enjoyed the sections that reiterated that our old testament fathers knew about the coming and mission of Jesus Christ. Once again I feel blessed as a member of the church to realize that we have a much larger view of the role of the Savior and of the details of God's dealings with the earth.
ReplyDeleteI found the section explaining why Heavenly Father promised Eve (rather than Adam or both of them) that her seed would have the power to defeat Satan--namely as a foreshadowing that the Savior would be born of a woman, but not of an earthly man--interesting.
Leslie gave a very nice Sunday school lesson this week in the Spanish ward where we talked about some of Isaiah's prophesies of the coming of Christ. Even though I didn't really understand most of it, I felt the spirit and I thought about my own feelings about the Savior. Have a great week!
-eebs
I didn't really have a lot of thoughts or comments for this chapter. It seemed pretty thorough in talking about all the prophecies and scriptural people who knew about Christ's coming to earth. Something I thought about recently is how artists (of all kinds- lyricists, poets, visual arts etc) often describe the sadness and awfulness regarding Christ's crucifixion- and I don't deny that it was cruel and awful and heart-rending!- but that was the whole purpose he came to earth: to sacrifice himself up to make eternal life and repentance of sins possible. What a glorious thing! Without that we'd have nothing, we'd be nothing! There would be no point to this life! So I just find the whole juxtaposition of the heart-rending nature of the crucifixion and Christ's atonement and the wonderful blessing of it to make it very poignant.
ReplyDelete